Are you signed up for our e-newsletter? Sign up here
Here's what you'll find in this edition:
February 2011 E-Newsletter from Visit Pensacola
Sparks Ignite in Pensacola
Spice things up this February. Spend Valentine's Day in one of the most romantic cities along the Gulf Coast. Let the sight of our dazzling shoreline take your breath away. Ignite an old flame – paint the town red with a romantic tour of beautiful downtown Pensacola. Spoil your palate with a spread of mouthwatering selections from our finest restaurants. Show your date a good time with endless facets of entertainment and events in the area. Keep in mind, we also have a variety of eloquent accommodations to choose from while planning your sweet escape to Pensacola.
Spring Break 2011
Pensacola is your spring-vacation destination. Visitors will now receive a free Visit Pensacola beach mat when they check into the Visit Pensacola Welcome Center using the foursquare app on their smart phone for the month of March.
Celebrate Black History Month
February is a month to remember important people and events in African-American history. Celebrate cultural heritage and history in Pensacola by enjoying music, art, literature and the taste of Southern soul food along the African-American Heritage Trail. Be sure to attend the 8th Annual Black History Arts Festival on Feb. 19 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Belmont Devilliers District.
Stir It Up
Recipe for Creamy Vanilla Fruit Dip:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow crème
- 3 drops vanilla extract
Blend cream cheese and marshmallow crème until smooth then add vanilla. Try serving with bananas, strawberries, kiwi, grapes or pineapple. Enjoy!
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott – Stay two nights, get the third night free!
- Paradise Beach Homes – 25 percent off reservations booked within 14 days of arrival. Buy three nights, get the fourth night free, buy four nights, get the fifth night free.
- Resort Quest – Enjoy up to 2 FREE nights with ResortQuest! Promo Code $BD2
- Southern Resorts – Enjoy added perks, complimentary freebies and area discounts with your stay.
Romantic Date Ideas
- Celebrate Mardi Gras in style at the 16th Annual Cordova Mall Ball on Feb. 5 from 8-11:30 p.m. 5100 N. Ninth Ave.
- Take a free candlelit tour of Fort Barrancas on Feb. 12, 5-7:15 p.m. 901 Taylor Road. Reservations required.
- Attend performance by artist Kid Rock from his “Born Free” tour at the Pensacola Civic Center on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. 201 E. Gregory St.
- Get some great cooking tips from chef Irv while enjoying cocktails at Jackson’s Steakhouse on Feb. 16 from 5 – 7:15 p.m. 400 South Palafox Place.
- Hear true stories of ghostly encounters while taking a light of the moon tour at the Pensacola Lighthouse on Feb. 18-19 from 8-10:30 p.m. Reservations required. 2081 Radford Blvd.
- Pay tribute to love and relationships by attending the "Short Attention Span Theatre" featuring a series of short plays at the Pensacola Little Theatre on Feb. 18-20. 400 S. Jefferson St.
- Enjoy cocktails and hors d’ oeuvres followed by an opera concert featuring Leo Day singing selections of opera, classical songs and spirituals at the Max Lee Bear House on Feb. 18 at 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. 1022 Spring St.
Pensacola Takes Flight
The Pensacola Bay Area is home to the Blue Angels, one of the finest aviation museums in the world and the "Cradle of Naval Aviation." The year 2011 marks the Centennial of Naval Aviation and kicks off a year-long series of celebratory events.
- May 3-4. Blue Angels Aerial Demonstration – The Navy's precision flight team will fly 700 mph only 18 inches apart in astonishing formations over Pensacola Bay. (850) 452-2583
- May 4-7. USS Iwo Jima Tours – Commissioned in 2001 in Pensacola, the 844-foot long ship is back for a grand tour. The ship's maiden voyage was accompanied by more than 2,000 World War II veterans, many of them survivors of Iwo Jima. The ship served as flagship for Commander-in-Chief George W. Bush. (850) 438-4081
- May 6. National Flight Academy Christening – Guests are invited to the ceremony to bless the multi-million dollar facility opening in 2012. The world-class academy will teach middle school and high school students the principles of science, technology and engineering through hands-on simulators. (850) 453-2389
For a full list of events, click here.
Mark Your Calendar for "Party" Gras
- Krewe of Lafitte Mardi Gras Parade – March 4, 7 p.m. Begins Spring and Garden Streets. The only illuminated nighttime parade in Pensacola.
- Pensacola Grand Mardi Gras Parade – March 5, 2 p.m. Begins Spring and Garden streets. One of the country’s original Mardi Gras celebration sites.
- Krewe of Wrecks Mardi Gras Parade – March 6, 2 p.m. Pensacola Beach. Mardi Gras parade with an island atmosphere.
- Mardi Gras Priscus Procession & Priscus Ball – March 8, Seville Quarter, 130 E. Government St. The Annual Fat Tuesday procession in the streets of downtown Pensacola.